Meet Dr. Athas Kometas
Dr. Kometas earned his dental degree from the University of Florida Dental School graduating with High Honors ( top 5% ). Upon graduation he was selected for a General Practice Residency in the US Navy under the tutelage of a Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. The residency’s primary focus was comprehensive care and maxillofacial prosthetics.
Dr. Kometas embraced the comprehensive approach and furthered his education at the prestigious Pankey institute in Key Biscayne, FL, emphasizing treatment of the whole patient. Presently, Dr. Kometas completes an excess of continuing education hours. He remains an ardent participant in the Spear Dental Study Cub which embraces complete evaluation and care individualized to each patient’s wants and needs. Dr. Kometas’ advanced training, attention to detail, and high level of experience enable his delivery of superior dental care in restorations and esthetics.
- Graduate of a General Practice Residency, Naval Hospital Great Lakes.
- 1986 graduate with High Honors from the University of Florida College of Dentistry (top 5%)
- Upon graduation elected to membership in Omicron Alpha Upsilon Honorary Dental Society.
- Navite Floridian born and raised in Miami.
- Devoted member of the Greek Orthodox Church holding leadership positions and dedicating personal time to volunteer in Miami then Daytona Beach, Florida.
- Married to wife Donna with 2 children ages 22 and 24
- Ardent innovator holding 3 active patents, one presently employed in the dental field leading to better patient care (The Occlusal Reduction Bur).
- Supporting member of Port Orange-Shouth Daytona Chamber of Commercce.
- Private Dental practice Daytona Beach Shores/Port Orange Florida 2000-present.
- Private Dental practice (Pinecrest Family Dentistry) in Miami, Florida 1990-2000
- Proud veteran of the United States Navy-Commander, Navy Dental Corps, 4 years active duty.
- Dental Director of Naval Dental Clinic Sabana Seca Puerto Rico.
- 2017-2018 Volusia Flagler County Dental Association - President
- 2017-2018 AHEPA Chapter 410 - President
- Dynamic dental continuing education participant.
- Ardent practitioner of L.D. Pankey Philosophy with completion of five continuums committed member of Seattle Study Club 1990 - 2006.
- Present member of Spear Dental Study Club.
- Active member of the Volusia Dental Academy.
- Active member of the Florida Dental Association and the American Dental Association.
- Active member of the Academy of General Dentistry completing over 1.600 hours of continuing education credit.
Doreen RDH (Hygienist)
Doreen gradated with an associate of science degree in dental hygiene from the University of Bridgeport in 1990. She practiced dental hygiene in Fairfax County Connecticut and later earned her Bachelor of Science degree in 2002. She moved to Florida in 2003 and has been employed by Dr. Kometas since 2005. Doreen is an outstanding dental hygienist who has worked for periodontists and performs very thorough periodontal cleanings.
Leisha ( Expanded Function Dental Assistant)
Leisha is a native of Tennessee who moved to the area after High School to attend and complete Daytona State Colleges’ Expanded Functions Dental Assistants program. She has been employed since her graduation in 1985. She is very adept at the fabrication of temporary crowns and bridges and assisting and explaining treatment processes to patients.
Donna RN (Front Desk)
Donna is a registered nurse who functions as the front desk assistant. She is originally from Ledyard, Connecticut earning a degree in nursing from Salve Regina College in New Port, Rhode Island. Upon graduation Donna was commissioned into the US Navy and served 7 years achieving the rank of Lieutenant Commander in the Nurse Corps. She is responsible with coordinating patient’s appointments, payments, and insurance questions.